Availability of comics in libraries - Germany

Frank Fabian ffabian at bluewin.de
Tue May 23 22:44:01 CEST 2000

Kari:

>We have been talking about the availability of comics from
>libraries, especially Uncle $crooge comics.
>In Finland libraries buy copies of all popular comics, also
>of those which are published weekly or monthly. They keep them
>as long as they stay in a readable condition, usually two or
>three years, after that they get thrown away. You can borrow
>them home, except for the newest issue which you can only read
>at the library. If publishers make annual volumes they buy them
>also and those last much longer. Now I am curious to know, how
>are these things in other countries?
>Are "consumption"/"soft-paper-back" comics available from libraries?
>
>Kari.Lepola at hut.fi

As always, it depends .... :-)  I'm a librarian and have worked for some
years in a German Landesbibliothek (state library) which receives
"Pflichtexemplare" from the publishers, which means the publishers (of a
certain area) are obliged by law to give copies of everything they publish
to the library, usually for free. The German Disney publishers (Egmont
Ehapa) are also obliged to do this, in fact twice: first on the state
level, then again on the federal level.
The Stuttgart state library where I worked receives copies from Ehapa.
These are for archiving; you can't take them home, and once the year is
complete, they are bound into hardback books. You can use them in the
reading room, and they most likely even lend them out by inter-library
loan, but only to the reading room of another library and only for purposes
of research etc. It makes sense, because archive copies really shouldn't be
lent home.
Then again, a state or university library probably wasn't what you had in
mind. I do not have a comprehensive view, but I guess that most German town
libraries (Stadtbuechereien) don't carry stapled comics (like e.g. the
German / Dutch / Scandinavian weeklies) and such because they would wear
out too soon and also because there might still be some prejudices left
against that "inferior" kind of literature. Of course, some libraries may
have them nonetheless. Most of them are likely, however, to have hardbound
comic books; Asterix in particular is very popular.
Hope this helps ...

O, by the way, hi to all on the list! I've been here before (November 1995
to January 1999), and after regaining Internet access, I've just rejoined
the list.

Frank Fabian