Recent Dutch and French comics

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Wed May 24 20:15:37 CEST 2000

I bought myself the following new issues as a birthday present 8-):

DONALD DUCK ALS STIJVE HARK (Dutch Barks album #103).
Reprints two Scrooge stories: the petrifying ray (US 8) and the rug story
from US 50.

In a short article, they explain that some pages were taken out of the Ray
story, some of which was restored in this album. They fail to mention that
the Rug story was also cut down (though for a different reason).

Beautiful (yes, Duco 8-) cover by Daan Jippes. They also print Jippes'
covers of OD.23 and Gladstone's US 222 inside.

STRIPSCHRIFT 326 (Dutch comics fanzine).
Has a new Duck cover by Frank Madsen and Freddy Milton, and an article about
Milton (by Pieter van Cleef). Also a Milton non-Disney comic story.

Van Cleef shows two versions of Milton's "Big Sneeze" story: the Woody
Woodpecker one and the Gnuff Family one. They fail to mention that Milton
did three more versions of that same story: 2 Duck versions and a Kalle
Klodrik one!
(As far as I know, this story still holds the record of most often redrawn
story.)

PICSOU MAGAZINE 340 (French Uncle Scrooge comic).
I actually laughed when I saw the Don Rosa pin-up in this issue. This time
it not only illustrates two of the Barks stories in this issue, but it also
has a creative solution to the problem "How to combine the Genghiz Khan
story and the Mines of Solomon story in one illustration?".

I also liked Don's new story "À l'attaque!!!" (or, in English,
"Attaaaaaack!" - note the right amount of a's).

**SPOILER**

It was a pleasant surprise to see the return of Arsène Lupin. I like that
character. Maybe because he has an entirely new reason for attacking
Scrooge's money bin. Barks already created characters for most of the
reasons one can think of, but this one is really new.
It was a bit of a disappointment though, that Lupin played only a minor role
in this story. I would have liked to see his "coup ingénieux".

Also quite unusal that only the front of the money bin was demolished, plus
half of Duckburg, but not the entire bin. 8-)

**END OF SPOILER**

I wonder what Picsou will do when they ran out of Barks stories?

--Harry.