DCML digest, Vol 1 #163 - 18 msgs

Arie Fachrisal cien2 at cbn.net.id
Wed May 31 16:17:47 CEST 2000

> From: "Apostolis Trikourakis" <apokill at hotmail.com>
> Hi Guys. I'm Apostolis, a new member!
> It is true that Don's story, "The Quest for Kalevala" is the best story
that
> he ever made?
Me think not. Me think The Life and Times of Scrooge Mc Duck is the best
though i haven't read the Guardian of the Lost Library story which said by
some friends i know is one of the best stories Rosa ever created.

> From: HoyMurphy at aol.com
> Someone on another mailing list posted a message, citing Bruce Hamilton,
that
> Carl Barks has been diagnosed with leukemia.  I hope this is just a bad
> rumor.  Can anyone confirm or deny this story?  Mr. Barks is 99 years old,
> and I'm hoping he'll be with us for many more years.
>
> --your pal, Hoy
I think this leukemia is an old news but still a fact rather than a bad
rumor, cmmiiw but i believe i've read somehwere on the net (or maybe even
here, in DCML) that Barks 'has' passed the operation??? and now as healthy
as a 99 year-old man can be.

btw i want to tell you all about a little trip i've had yesterday. Hope you
don't find this boring, just skip it if you're bored.
Yesterday, i went to the local Disney publisher and express my intention to
be one of their editors. There was no advertimesemnt on any of local medias
that they have any vacancies but i did go there with nothing but
self-confidence. As i have anticipated, they reject me by saying that the
one must-fulfilled condition is a graduate. i'm still studying in university
so i don't qualify. But the head-editor did told me to come again if i have
graduate. That doesn't sound pretty bad at all. especially when tehy said
yes, that i can contribute some editorial articles to them which they'll use
if the materials are approriate and quite to their standards. Since i am
about to face final tests, i had to postpone my intention to send some
articles to them rightaway, preferably until i have finished my tests.
Spending some time with the kind and nice head-editor, i asked many
questions. i even asked them why they didn't print any of the credits that
the Disney artists deserve. To my surprise, they answered that it is NOT
necessary to do that. i argued at least the readers can know who the artists
behind this story or that story. And they replied: "So far, we never accept
any request from the readers, asking for the names. that's why we think it's
not necessary to print that." Furthermore, they said that they don't have to
do that because other countries don't do that too. i argued that by saying
that most Scandinavian countries have included the credits in the comics. i
am stuck to even convince them to print the credits. Man, am i furious (of
course i didn't show them that i was mad)
Just wandering, since most Scandinavian countries didn't put credits until
'recently', what did it take to make the editors finally put the credits in
the comics? any answers will be very helpful to me. i only know that Germany
and Denmark only these last few years printing the credits, cmiiw. And i
certainly have a strong feeling that most other Scandinavian countries at
first also didn't put any credits, so what was the 'thing' that actually
made the editors finally put the credits? FYI, afaik the Asian version of
Disney
comics never print any credits which explains how so few of us (Asian
Barks-fans/Duck-fans) here. Oh yes, how about the chinese version? (i seemed
to recall that we got a member from China here). afaik the Egmont HongKong
version also don't put any credits.
Later on with the head-editor, i tried to impress them and showed them many
mistakes they made in the local publications which was easily countered by
only-purists-like-you-will-notice-and-not-the-mainstream-readers attitude.
Ugh, how discouraging.

Ups, one more thing. i just noticed while re-reading the Lo$, in King of the
Klondike cover, Scrooge was wearing a belt full of bullets???

Best,
Arie Fachrisal
"Childhood is short and maturity is forever" - Calvin