Terry Gilliam a Barks fan

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Tue Nov 28 23:22:40 CET 2000

Regarding martin Berglund's idea that Terry Gilliam might have used memory
of Carl Barks work as inspiration for some Monty Python sketches:  I
believe it is not only very possible, but probable.  I saw a BBC interview
of Terry Gilliam several years ago in which he indicated that he was a "big
fan of Carl barks' work".  Given that, I think it is unrealistic to think
that Gilliam would not have had at least subconscious "inspiration" for
sketch ideas he shared with his Python colleagues in comedy writing bull
sessions.  It IS possible to trace which sketches were written by which
"team" (i.e. "Chapman/Cleese", Palin/Jones, etc.).  But even that might not
lead to the true origin of the idea or "inspiration".  I imagine Terry had
many many bits of "inspiration" from having read the Barks stories, lurking
in his subconscious.  Even the Python members might not remember in which
group discussion they might have gotten the germ of an idea for a sketch.
It IS doubtful, though, that the other (British) members had grown up
knowing Barks.

Rob klein