1.1 million Finns can't be wrong

Vainio Jyrki jvainio at levi.urova.fi
Thu Oct 12 14:26:53 CEST 2000

A couple of days ago it was reported in Helsingin Sanomat that according
to a national media survey 752 000 Finns over the age of 12 and 316 000
Finns under the same age read Aku Ankka, the Finnish Disney weekly. That
brings the total readership of the title up to nearly 1,1 MILLION people,
which is more than 20% of the entire population of the country. Needless
to say that also makes Aku Ankka to be the most widely read magazine in
Finland.

---Jyrki Vainio, Finland

P.S. All you Barks fans out there might want to check out the September
issue of THE COMICS JOURNAL (#227) which tributes Carl Barks. There are
essays on his life and his work by, among others, Bruce Hamilton and
R.C.Harvey (and Don Rosa's there, too). But at least for me the most
important portions were the articles compiled by Geoffrey Blum and Donald
Ault: one gathering quotes from Barks's correspondence, one including
excerpts from interviews and one transcribing (all of?) the video "The
Duck Man: An interview with Carl Barks" made in 1975. On these you can
hear Barks discussing his life and work in his OWN words - and since these
are dating back to a period when he still hadn't done this ad nauseam they
are a very enlightening and entertaining read. I think here he is more
open about his views and thoughts and about evaluating his own work than
he was later on.