Paulo Melo: Brazilian stories in Portugal

Arthur Faria Jr. arthurfaria at projesom.com.br
Thu Oct 19 08:25:48 CEST 2000

    PAULO MELO:

    Thanks for the long list of Brazilian stories published
in Portugal. Some remarks:

> B970153 - (Folião) Surfando na Internet [(?????) Surfing on the Internet]
> 5 pages - I Don't know the English name of the character, can anyone help?
> (seems an Italian character - member of Peperetta?? Gang)

    Folião is actually the Aracuan bird who appeared in "The Three
Caballeros" movie (and others). He was reused in many Brazilian stories
of the 80s and 90s as one of the "Adolescentes" (Disney teens), together
with Pata Lee (the Italian Paperetta Ye-ye) and others teen characters
created here in Brazil.

> B880134 - (Maga Patalógika) A velhinha da hora [(Magica de Spell) The old
> lady of the hour] 7 pages - featuring Magica's apprentice nephew,
> Peralta, which I only found on Brazilian stories so far ... Is it a
> "Brazilian" character?

    Bruxinho Peralta isn't Magica's nephew: he's Hazel Witch's and appeared
in one or more stories in the 60s. His original American name is "Witchis Witch"
(if I spelled it right).

> B900051 - (Urtigão) Dá-lhe Urtigão [(Moe) Hit-it, Moe] 8 pages

    This story is the 1st part of a 3-part series, where Hard Haid
Moe (Urtigão) becomes a kickboxing fighter. Plot by Edgar Herrero, who
wrote the first part. I wrote the next two parts.

> B860125 - (*Donald) Patópolis na idade da pedra [(*Donald) Duckburg in the
> stone age] 10 pages - first on a series of 7 stories forming a
> BIG one (107 pages in total), describing the evolution of Duckburg during
> the ages, and the importance of the tic-tac-toe stone on its evolution.  A
> MUST READ series. (even if the first two stories, added later, are a
> little weaker than the rest IMHO)

    This series was titled "História de Patópolis" (Duckburg's History)

> B860127 - (*Horácio) Embarcando numa galera furada [(*Horace
> Horsecollar) Boarding a sinking galley] 6 pages

    The main character isn't Horace Horsecollar: it's *Boinifácio*, Clarabelle's
unlucky cousin. This character was created (as well as "new" Daisy) by that time
and the editors wanted to make them well known by the readers, so they ordered
those two stories to be added to the original series when it was reprinted.

> B00007 - (Zé Carioca) O réptil devorador [(Joe Carioca) The
> reptile...] 12 pages - first 2000 story from Brazil I read. STRANGE art
> (inspired on American (non-Disney) comics and watercolor painting??) .

    First story written and drawn by Fernando Ventura, with colors by
Studio NW.

> B990051 - (Zé Carioca) Papagaio ou peão? [(Joe Carioca) Parrot or
> Cowboy?] 7 pages - I must say I like the art from the new Joe Carioca
> stories

    Art by Dave Santana, and the first story by Studio NW.

> B000059 - (Donald) Um desfile monstruoso [(Donald) A monstrous
> parade] 11 pages - The new art doesn't seem "quite right" on the Ducks,
> however

    Story by Gerson Teixeira, art by Eli Leon. Leon is one of Abril's
veteran artist (since 1984, I guess)

> ?????? - (Mickey) Uma festa muito doida [(Mickey) A very wacky party] 10
> pages - No code, but I could swear this is a story from Brazil, from
> 99/2000 (like the next unnumbered stories on this issue). The new art is
> refreshing, but it may be an acquired taste for some. This script is
> *really* warped

    It's B 000043. Art by Roberto Fukue (according to Fernando Ventura).
Again, a *very* veteran artist.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) O prato do dia [(Joe Carioca) Today's menu] 8
> pages - this one is also from Brazil, in the same time frame - don't know
> what happened to the codes (perhaps the pages were cropped? Or did they
> send the stories without the codes?)

    It's B 990059. Written by me.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) Que inteligência [(Joe Carioca) Smart... very
> smart] 2 pages - like the former

    B 000003.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) O espirito "pascoalicio" [(Joe Carioca) "Eastery"
> spirit] 8 pages

    B 000013.

> ??????? - (Mickey e Minnie) Romântico Canino [(Mickey and Minnie)
> Dogged Romantic] 8 pages

    B 000025.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) Tudo acabado entre nós! [(Joe Carioca) It's the
> end of the road for us!] 10 pages

    B 990083.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) A misteriosa área 13 [(Joe Carioca) Area 13]
> (what else?) 13 pages

    B 990060. Art by Eli Leon, written by me.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) O prémio da lotaria [(Joe Carioca) The big
> lotto] 8 pages

    B 990057.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) Que artista [(Joe Carioca) What an artist!] 2
> pages - "new" art

    B 990100. Art by Dave Santana.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) As cartas não mentem [(Joe Carioca) The cards
> don't lie!] 9 pages - "new" art, but less extreme (99 style?)

    B 990056. Art by Eli Leon.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) Se não chover, você dança [(Joe Carioca)
> Either it rains, or you do the dance] 8 pages

    B 990090. Art by Luis Podavin.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) Loucura na pista [(Joe Carioca) Madness on Formula
> 1] 9 pages

    B 990092. Art by Eli Leon.

> B990055 - (*Pedrão) Pedrão Madrinho [(?????) Fairy God-Pedrão?] 11
> pages - Pedrão is a member of Joe Carioca's gang - one of his best
> friends. I don't believe it used outside Brazil. Also, I believe it was
> the first Disney regular comics character (drawn at least since the 80s,
> probably earlier) that is unmistakably a dark-skinned human.

    Pedrão ("big" Pedro) was created (probably) in 1973. Very nice
character to write stories of. Sometimes I see Carioca, Nestor and
Pedrão as a kind of "Three Stooges" -- funny and inseparable!

> B990052 - (Zé Carioca) Rival fixe [(Joe Carioca) A cool rival] 8
> pages - again Pedrão is the real lead in this story, this time in his
> "super"-hero alter-ego, Capitão Porreta (this was the first time I read of
> his alter-ego, I'm sure its seldom used)

    Four stories AFAIK: B 860120, B 860175, B 930075 and B 990052.

> B990036 - (Zé Carioca) A verdade está a saltar [(Joe Carioca) The truth
> is hopping there] 8 pages - another X-files parody that's also the sequel
> to the previous story

    Art by Gustavo Machado, written by me. X-Files fans shouldn't
miss this story... it's not the best of mine, but Machado made
very nice caricatures of Mulder and Scully (in cameo appearances) ;-)
Curiosity: The editors liked the inteligent fleas of the previous story
(written by me, too) and ordered a sequel showing what happened with them...
so I did it.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) Os lavadeiros [(Joe Carioca) Washing] 6 pages

    B 990029. Art by Leon, written by me.

> ??????? - (Zé Carioca) Mestre do Origami [(Joe Carioca) Origami
> master] 1 page

    B 990032. Written by me. Ok, I admit I don't like to write 1-pagers...

    Tchau,
    --Arthur.