Carl Barks, Almanako, and a Donald question...

RMorris306@aol.com RMorris306 at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 16:52:25 CEST 2000

Hi everyone!

    It's been awhile since I've posted here. Carl Barks' death, although most
of us had been expecting it, was still a shock, especially as he wrote the
very first comic book story I ever read or owned (and still do), "Donald
Duck, the Master Mover" (with thanks to Gladstone for giving it a title),
which set a very high standard for all the millions of stories I'd read since
then. I had a chance to meet Carl once (at a Boston convention) and exchanged
a couple of letters with him (about the Duck family tree; we never did figure
out if Gladstone's adoptive father was named Goostave Gander or Goostale
Gander). Definitely one of the greats of comics, without peer in funny-animal
comic books (though Sheldon Mayer and Don Rosa come VERY close) and with only
a few peers in funny-animal newspaper strips (George Herriman, Floyd
Gottfredson, and Walt Kelly are the only ones who come to mind). He will be
greatly missed.

<< Is any member who wants copies of the greek "Almanako" magazine?  >>

    I'd love some! Thank you! My first serious girlfriend was an Athenian
exchange student, so I learned a little (VERY little) Greek then...suffice it
to say that I'm still very glad I'd have the pictures to help. Are the
stories all by Barks, Rosa, Branca and Van Horn and other European Duck
artists, or are there any native Greek writers and artists as well? And are
there any particular Disney characters who are much more successful there
than at home, like Jose Carioca and Panchito in Brazil and Mexico
respectively? (My guess would be Hercules, or possibly the creatures from the
original FANTASIA...but, if my ex-girlfriend was any indication, Greeks
aren't always fond of foreigners making light of their culture. Especially
the HERCULES movie, which I've got to see one of these days.)

    Finally, a question for those of you who (I admit) have much more
familiarity with the Barks canon than I do. Did he ever do a story with
Donald Duck on a motorcycle? (I seem to recall such a thing in the '60's
story "A Duck's-Eye View of Europe," or was that a moped?) The reason I ask
is that someone in my office wants to have that image tattooed on her
shoulder, and I thought, if she wanted Donald, she should have the Good Duck
Artist's version of him if possible...

Rich