Another Barks acticle

Santiago Garcia Banhos sgarcia at uf-isf.es
Mon Sep 25 12:40:22 CEST 2000

George:

>I was asked to write an article at the Jounior Journal and so I thought
>that Carl Barks, whom I admire anyway would be a good subject. However
>here's the final outcome and I cannot say I am even satisfied with it
>:-(. I cannot understand why I had so many problems expressing my
>feelings and opinion. Moreover my english is awful! I feel awfully
>:-)..
>Anyway any suggestions/recommendations are more than welcome...

Your article is impressively full and accurate (IMHO), but looks more
like a 'cold' biography than an essay stating your feelings about Barks'.
In this way, I'd suggest you to add some lines expressing what you feel
about these comics, and why you love him. Think, for example, that you
are explainig it to someone who has never read Barks.

I think the sentence "Of course Barks' work would not be so important
if its only aim was to evoke laughter" is certainly true, and is a
good begginig for that section, but should be more extended, in the
sense that Barks' skill consisted mainly not just in doing good
scenarios, but also the way he combined comical, adventure and even
dramatic scenes to make the reader *feel* the characters. For me,
this skill is what makes Barks' stories special.

I hope that if you read this paragraphs, at least you'll feel your
English is not as *awful* as mine :-)

Greetings,

Santiago.