Barks 100, from Oslo / enquete

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Mon Apr 2 17:36:52 CEST 2001

The DCML has seen some brief reports on events taking
place recently in Oslo, pertaining to the 100th anniversary
of Carl Barks. List readers also know that Don Rosa was
present in Oslo up to Sunday 25th, partly to help the Egmont
publishers commemorate Barks and to promote the "Best of Barks"
book, and partly to assist in launching his own two books,
"The Don Rosa Archives I & II" (the Pertwillaby Papers
and Captain Kentucky).

Here follows a little more on the Barks 100 subject.
(I went almost straight from the Carl Barks Centennial Party
I was involved with on to a plane for Scotland, and have not
been in a position to place a report before.)

** Carl Barks 100: This event was duly noted in at least two
major newspapers, VG and Dagbladet, with two-page spreads.
Øystein Sørensen, professor of history, wrote a scholarly
article for VG, highlighting Barks' broad international influence
over many decades. Dagbladet interviewed "well-known" persons
about how their own lifes had been touched by Barks stories.

** The "Best of Barks" ... and Morby/Grandey:
This de Lux book has been launched, with a preface and story
introductions by Sørensen, in Norwegian, Danish and Swedish.
It is at least in Norway also sold via the Narvesen chain of
kiosks (in addition to bookstores), which means that it is really
avaiable "everywhere". A footnote worth highlighting on the list is
that the somewhat dubious roles played by Barks' managers Kathy Morby
and Bill Grandey at a late stage in Barks' life is being commented
upon in Sørensen's preface. Interestingly, some of his sentences
regarding this point seem to have been toned down in the Danish
edition (which I could check out in Copenhagen on Friday).

[This is not a trivial matter, since what is written in the Danish
edition is presented as a direct translation of Sørensen's preface;
if his professional opinion has indeed been `toned down', as I suggest,
then this is tinkering with the intellectual property of a writer.]

** Centennial party & enquete:
I was privileged to take part in a private "centennial party"
on the 27th. (We were also in email-chatting contact with Don Rosa.)
I had organised a little inofficial "enquete", with the following
list of questions:

1  Give your three favourite Barks stories, category "long";
   rank them, if possible.

2  Give your three favourite Barks stories, category "short";
   rank them, if possible.

3  Give your three favourite Barks one-page stories;
   rank them, if possible.

4  Give your three favourite Barks covers;
   rank them, if possible.

5  Mention three comic books or Barks-related items which you
   are particularly happy to have in your possession.

6  If the God of Comics and Comics-Related Collections came to
   visit *you* on Saturday, bringing three Barks-related gifts
   specially chosen for *you*, what would these three objects or items be?

7  What would your personal life on this planet have been like,
   if Barks had simply stayed on as a chicken farmer?

It took the happy congregation many hours to discuss through
this list, with all the extra associations (and shouts of
"oh no! I forgot that one!") and clarifications and re-shufflings
of the priority lists. The point of the exercise was not to find
"winners", as such, but provided the means of focussing discussions.
You may try this yourself ...

I will therefore not give you results from our own lists, apart from
quoting, in extenso, the best "essay" we had (not mine) when
attempting to answer the question of Topic 7. This long-term fan
of comics in general and Barks in particular answered in one word:
	"Brutopian."

Nils Lid Hjort