O.Shurits Safe Co.

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Apr 3 17:19:30 CEST 2001

KRITON KYRIMIS to HARRY FLUKS, 02-04-2001:

>> The name of the editor-in-chief in Holland (who worked there for more than
>> 25 years) is T. Roep, which can be translated as J. Unk or G. Arbage...

> Or, judging from the similarity, T. Ripe, perhaps?
>
> Although nothing comes to mind off-hand, I'm certain that Barks used
> such names as the names of the authors of the various books Donald is
> reading at the beginning of several stories.
>
> And then there's the famous O.S.O. Safe company!

In the first panel of the 1944 dime chase story (WDC 50), Donald takes his
coin collection out of a "O.Shurits Safe Co." safe.

On the safe itself stands a little figurine table-lamp. The figurine itself
is a duck with a top hat and a tailcoat. To me, it looks a bit like the
yet-to-be-created Uncle Scrooge. (Not a serious thought, though.)

Best wishes,

--- Daniel

"Everything looks all right here! Go see if the propellor is turning!"
(Which story?) :-)