coin colours

Kristian PEDERSEN K.PEDERSEN at OBERTHURCS.com
Thu Apr 5 12:21:26 CEST 2001

> Anders:
>
> > This time it's absolutely insane that Scrooge coin are
> > gold in the European tradition. [...]
> > But the tradition simply says gold coins in
> > Denmark, and it will take something to change that.

and Harry:
> I see no reason to change that. Coins are supposed to be yellow (and bank
> notes green) in Disney comics. No matter the material they are made of.
> This
> has been the case since the beginning. It is disturbing to see a
> white/brown
> mass of coins in Scrooge's bin (like in Lo$ chapter 12). I do hope the
> editors will keep the "yellow coins" tradition.

-- I agree with Harry here. Surely, if the inhabitants of Duckburg are not
really ducks but people who just happen to be 'drawn that way' (so as to
resemble ducks), why can't the coins be real coins that just happen to be
'coloured that way' (so as to be gold)? Just another quirk in the
wonderfully eccentric world of Duckburg.

Of course, Barks had them golden in all his oil paintings. I wonder if they
were always like that in his mind, or if he developed that notion after
seeing the coloured versions of his own comics...?

Kristian