Dutch weekly versus Dutch monthly

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Apr 9 19:48:36 CEST 2001

Daniël:

> The Dutch monthly ("Donald Duck Extra") seems to aim at more matured
> readers, like students.

Editor Beekman told me that the weekly aims at 9-10, and the monthly at
12-14 years old. So not students yet...

> The thought behind the monthly is that
> it's meant for the readers who want to read more than what's published
> in the weekly. At least that's how they advertised the comic when it
> started in 1986.

But then it became too successful in that! The sales of the monthly was
endangering the sales of the weekly. So they decided to aim them at separate
market sections.

> In The Netherlands, Barks' covers are also redrawn when used for the
> weekly. I think this started somewhere in the late 1980s.

It already started in 1976...

> The popularity of the weekly also means that the editors have to be
> careful to avoid complaints from readers. For example, some religious
> readers object to the Madam Mim stories because (in their eyes) these
> stories contain occultism.
> It's just a guess, but I think that the monthly does not have that
> limitation. At least not as much as the family oriented weekly.

Still, there were some complaints from parents about Don Rosa's Kalevala
(Sampo) story (published in two DD Extras)! I think the complaints were
about showing the world of the dead.

--Harry.