DCML digest #476

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Apr 13 14:13:14 CEST 2001

From: "Don Rosa" <donrosa at iglou.com>
>>>We must assume, if $crooge made his first big break in the Yukon in
1898,
that he had none of the money left that he made in the 1900's,

Whoa! What a bonehead goof! I mean *1800's*!!! *19th* Century! This
switching over to a new millenium as we just did keeps confusing me. I hope
I'll have the hang of it by the next time.

From: "Olivier" <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr>
>>>Then (p 14 panel 3) they reach "the land of  the sleepers".
And then again (p 15) there's this joke about Donald being highly respected
in the realm of  the sleepers".
at the top of  this same page (15, panel 2) Donald won't go any further
because
that's "the threshold of  death"!

...and Harry and Olivier point out other aspects and quotes. Of course,
this *was* the Land of the Dead, and even if I wasn't absotively sure that
that's exactly what it was in the Kalevala, that's what I was making it
seem. I made it clear that the "residents" were alive but frozen and asleep
in ice blocks. But still, it was intended to be clear to the older readers
just what was goin' on. What I was asking Harry was if the Dutch translator
had removed all my "sleeper" references and actually used the word "dead".

From: "Fluks, H.W." <H.W.Fluks at kpn.com>
>>>Funny thing is, that the coin from Don's "The Coin" story falls in BOTH
categories!

This discussion is almost too "fanboy" even for me (but not quite!!!).
Yeah, $crooge is not adverse to scooping a few coins out of the Bin to buy
something, but most of his business is run using bank money. Otherwise
there would be a steamshovel scooping money out a window on one side of the
Bin 24 hours a day, and a chute pouring it in one the other side as well...
like a filter on a tropical fish tank, recirculating the entire volume
about once a week. That would be very noisy and irritating, and a big
security risk, I should think!