Duckburg, Mouseton, $crooge's finances et al

RMorris306@aol.com RMorris306 at aol.com
Sat Apr 14 17:02:24 CEST 2001

    A lot of interesting topics since the last time I posted!

    According to the Egmont scripts I've seen, Mickey and his friends are
assumed to live in Duckburg just as the Ducks do, though apparently
crossovers were discouraged. I've never had trouble with occasional
crossovers, especially since the definitive writer/artists of both characters
used them...Donald himself appeared in several of Gottfredson's Mickey
sequences (at first seeming to be no older than his early teens...but, this
being the '30's rather than the '40's, it fits in rather neatly with Don's
timeline), and Barks used several of the Mouse cast (Black Pete especially)
in some of his early Donald Duck stories. Barks probably used Pete because
Donald didn't really have any separate recurring villains at the time...at
least, unless Neighbor Jones counts. (And even he was arguably based on Pete;
he seemed to derive from a cartoon..."Trombone Trouble," IIRC...in which the
neighbor with whom Donald feuded WAS Pete.) Not until the '50's did Barks co
me up with his own recurring villains, and most of them...the Beagle Boys,
Magica deSpell, Flintheart Glomgold...were more $crooge's foes than Donald's.

    Even today the Disney projects and other comics generally intermingle the
characters; I've mentioned a Mickey Mouse newspaper sequence a year or so ago
with Emil Eagle...a recurring rival of Gyro Gearloose, who's most assuredly
in the Duck universe...as the villain. Yes, I know Don doesn't care for those
stories (or for Emil, for that matter), but it does underscore the work of
Gottfredson and Barks himself to the effect that Donald and Mickey do indeed
live in the same universe, if not the same town.

    Where was the name Mouseton first used? I've never seen it in a
Gottfredson strip; indeed, I've read that Gottfredson used the name
"Homeville," but I've never seen that, either. At that, both names seem a bit
ironic since both towns seem to be populated mostly by anthropomorphic dogs,
with ducks and mice in a minority. Duckburg makes sense because it was f
ounded BY a duck...Cornelius Coot...but, then again, I'm also inclined to
basically agree with Don (and Unca Carl?) to the effect that these are all
"really" people, not ducks or mice or dogs.

    And Barks has repeatedly shown that $crooge owns property and businesses
all over the world, so Don is no doubt right that the Money Bin contains the
money that $crooge earned personally in cash. And that it's mostly silver.
(Which would mean that, like the gold coins of the '30's, most of it would
now be worth more for the silver content than its denomination, since most
coins now in circulation are made of cheaper metal. Then again, I know Don
doesn't like to think of $crooge as living into the 21st century...and even I
tend to think of him, like Barry Allen, as having essentially being as
thorougly dead as his creator is now...)

    The only difficulty with that is, as Mike Barrier noted, that Barks never
let consistency of details get in the way of a good story. Certainly the
other businesses $crooge owns would undercut the force of a story like "Only
a Poor Old Man" (among many others) in which the Beagle Boys succeed (if only
temporarily) in walking off with the entire contents of $crooge's money bin.
$crooge still would hardly be bankrupt if they'd actually succeeded in doing
so, though, to obtain operating expenses, he WOULD either have to sell a
profitable business or use his property or business as collateral for a loan,
both of which he'd find intolerable. Between that and his personal attachment
to all those coins (none to quite the extent as "Old #1," but all together
would probably multiply it a hundredfold), he'd react almost as he would TO
losing all his property. (This is the world's greatest miser, after all, who
gets upset even when he loses a dime that ISN'T Old #1.) But I'll admit it
undercuts a certain amount of the significance (to Donald and the rest, if
not to $crooge) of a story of this kind...

Rich