European Ducks; Grandma and Scrooge

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Wed Apr 18 19:38:34 CEST 2001

From: "Shelley Hanson/KlezmerAllThatJazz"
<klezmerallthatjazz at earthlink.net>

> As Steven Rowe says, we U.S. readers would be happy to discuss other
artists
> and writers, if only we could get copies of their work. Does anyone have
> recommendations as to which European publications would be good to start
> with, and an address of a bookstore where such things could be ordered?
(I
> can read French and, with a dictionary in one hand, Italian and Spanish;
> little German but that would be with a dictionary in two hands.)

Well, from Italy I would definitely suggest "Zio Paperone". It reprints
"old" stories, both Italian and not, but to an American eye all Italian
stories look "new".
Unfortunately I acn't suggest anything Italian with *really* new stuff. It
is true that in Topolino they sometimes publish interesting things... but
they mostly don't.

> I am surprised by the suggestion that Grandma Duck and Scrooge are in any
> way related, because in several of Barks' stories (as in a one-pager
where
> he takes her out to dinner and there seems to be a little gallant "body
> language"), there does seem to be the possibility of a little vestigial
> romantic spark. !!!

They've always been brother and sister here in Italy, due, probably, to a
mistake made by a translator a long ago (or maybe somebody just thought
they coulde be bother and sisters and wrote so... weird, since a "uncle"
can hardly be brother of a "grandma" :-)

--
Sprea
http://digilander.iol.it/sgrizzo (Scarpa)