Delurk, introducktion and a question

Stephan Packard sPackard at gmx.de
Thu Apr 19 20:50:26 CEST 2001

Hi all,

I've been reading this ML for quite a while now, I have
enjoyed it greatly (thanks for all of your
contributions) and I feel it's time to introduce myself
to all of you.

My name's Stephan Packard and I live in Munich (which
is in Bavaria which is in Germany). I used to read an
enormous amount of Disney Comics when I was child, MM,
DD, LTP and all the other German publications you can
name - and then, suddenly, I must have stopped. I say
"must have" because for the sake of me I can't remember
how that came about, I only know that around the age of
14 or so, I was still an avid fan; when I was 17, I had
stopped buying or reading the comics, and I can't
imagine why or even when I ever made that decision.
There must have been some week sometime which was the
first week in many, many years that I didn't buy the
Micky Maus - magazine, and I probably had a reason not
do. I wonder what it was. Oh well.

However, whilst I had stopped reading comics, I did
carry on reading and now I find myself studying
literature at Munich University. My interest in comics
has been reawakened by some work on non-alphabetical
forms of text, and so I am slowly getting reacquainted
with the heroes of my childhood. I have forgotten a lot
of things, and a lot of other things have changed. The
first change I realised was that Egmont has now started
to put the writer's and the artist's name on the first
page of every story; years ago, no one had any idea who
was responsible for which story. Even so, of course,
some styles were recognisable, and there was one style
of drawing for the Ducks that I had long labelled "the
good and posh storys" in my mind; it is only now that I
can attach the name of Don Rosa to these favorites of
mine :-)

Anyway, I'm here to join in with some of the
discussions and to learn or re-learn my way around the
world of the Disney comics; and I'm looking forward to
this immensely. My thanks go out to those of you who
tell us about the contents of the Italian, Greek etc.
Disney publications; some of these can be found at the
main station or the airport here, and the reports on
this list have encouraged me to buy some KOMIX issues
and do my very best with my limited knowledge and a
dictionary.

I am very interested in purchasing the original English
version of Don Rosa's storys, especially the Lo$; and
the original Italian version of some comics, especially
the PKNA books that are, alas, not printed in Germany
anymore. If anyone can give me a hint on how to order
these here in Germany (Amazon doesn't seem to sell
them...?), that would be great.

All the best,
Stephan