Sam Simian

Donald Markstein dmarkstein at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 20 15:47:14 CEST 2001

> Don is a wrtier of brilliant duck and mice stories. a
> new story came out this week, which will continue in
> the next. And it might be hard to feed children on the
> pay you get from disney/egmont.

Thanks VERY much for the compliment -- but "brilliant" is certainly not a
term I would use myself. All I'm trying to do with my comic book scripts is
provide a few minutes of entertainment for the reader, hopefully of the sort
that he'll remember later, and smile again. (That, and feed my children, of
course -- and Egmont does pay well enough to enable me to set aside less
enjoyable work when I have an assignment from them.)

Is it the "Robot Wrestling League" story you're referring to? It's sometimes
hard to keep track of where any given one is in the pipeline. (Especially
since the "dummies" come out four months in advance, and it takes the postal
system a month or more to get the finished comics to me.) It's the second
story about a character named Sam Simian (in English, at least), whom I like
working with.

I've finished a script for a third story about Sam, in which he and Mickey
come up against Professors Ecks, Doublex and Triplex. This one will pretty
much round out his character and situation, and now that he's "complete", my
editor (David Gerstein, whose name is perhaps familiar to you) is talking
about possibly letting other writers use him. It'll be interesting, seeing
how others handle a character I created.

Quack, Don

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary. What's today?
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm