Rob Klein: Layout Sketches

Fernando Ventura fernandopventura at uol.com.br
Sat Apr 21 19:03:53 CEST 2001

Rob(Hi Rob!):

>As I am not familiar with Italian, French, Brasilian, or any of the other
>Disney Office or Franchises in other countries, I look forward to comments
>from other list members with information on them.

Here in Brazil they just receive Layouts Sketchs, as far I know, complete
histories, they don't received "plotts" first to after put someone to write
the story. And they really doesn't encourage "write storys"...or plots!
It's much more easy to the editor to aprove and to the artist to draw a
"layout" story than one just with words!

The writers doesn't need to know ho to draw the characters! In fact, here,
they're better when they don't try, because the characters will flow much
better, with more natural expressions on a totally cartoon version of then!
They just need to express who is saying watch, or things like that...

To me, it's great to see this type of things, because a drawer always can
use this on the final work! I saw some layout sketches from Arthur Faria Jr,
and sometimies I prefer his layout than the final draw! Incredible, no?

I, specially, doesn't like to write "ideas" coming from other than...I...!
Except when I did some co-writtign with Markus Corrêa. The work is much more
hard to do, when you need to wite a not worked so weel idea, that you
dislike, sometimes. BUT, sometimes, you can rework the original idea, make
of it somethign totally different, and do a GREAT story, that YOU write!
Sometimes, you can not rewrite and use the ideas as the story is by
you...but, in general, there are just individual writers here in Brazil.

More one time, I'm just expression my opinion about "how to write Disney
Comics"(this can make a Goffy Short, "How to..."...) and I don't know how it
was in the past! I think here the storys was always on layout sketches, with
some exceptions....!

Fernando!