VNU Script Policy - addendum

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Apr 21 21:07:04 CEST 2001

I have been informed by someone who should know, that VNU has completely
closed the door on scripts that are not submitted in drawn layout format.
I apologise, as I did not know this.  The many times Thom Roep told me that
any especially outstanding story would not be turned away ocurred between
1984 and 1993.  Frans Haaselaar told me that in 1992 and 1993.  Even given
that, the editor would have asked the script writer to attempt the layout
drawing.  That time (1993) was just before a whole new generation of Dutch
story writers came up (who all drew layouts - as required).  With all the
new - regular production, GP/VNU could now make the drawn layout
requirement ABSOLUTE.   I did not know of this change,  as I always draw up
my scripts as do all the scriptors I have contact with or have seen scripts
from: (Frank Jonker, Freddy Milton, Jan Gulbransson, Ruud Straatman, Jan
Kruse, Evard Geradts, etc.).

Speaking of story scriptors who also  - I forgot to mention an excellent
one! - His name is Gorm Transgaard.  He has written many very inventive,
well thought out stories and 1- page gags for Egmont from 1989 to present.
You can find a list of his work in the INDUCKS creators pages.  Several of
his stories have been printed in Holland and France. I imagine at least a
few of his stories have been printed in Italy in Mega 2000, as that is the
title that reprints most of the Egmont - produced stories which do get
printed in Italy.

In answer to Daniel van Eijmeren's question about how many more hidden gags
were used by Barks in his character names:   Many, many, many!!!!    That
was a favourite method of his.  I guess it was a partially rhetorical
question, but if anyone on the list is independently wealthy and has a lot
of time on his or her hands, perhaps they can leaf through the Another
Rainbow "Carl Barks Library" and document them all.  If they have a bit of
time over and above that, they could look through all of Barks' MGM, WB and
Lantz comics as well.

Whew!   I had better stop reading all these lists and responding so much -
and get back to working on some stories!!!!  - Rob Klein