More swell slang

Shelley Hanson/KlezmerAllThatJazz klezmerallthatjazz at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 16:08:18 CEST 2001

Kristian said:
Another term I discovered via Barks was "snafu", which my dictionary told me
was military slang for "situation normal, all fouled up". I was surprised to
see that expression in a Disney comic, as "fouled" in that context seemed
very much like a euphemism for an altogether ruder word (I think it was in
one of Barks' later stories that I saw it). How could the editors let
"snafu" pass, but in another instance ask him to replace "Shut up!" with "Be
quiet!". Was the expression that common?

The word snafu is commonly used. Everyone over the age of 8 now (but maybe
not when Barks wrote it) probably knows that "fouled" is a euphemism, but
it's become part of the language. Myself, I think it's swell.
(Swell is slang that's so outdated it's humorous to use it, a little
tongue-in-cheek (i.e. slightly humorously/sarcastically.)