Duckburg today

Donald Markstein dmarkstein at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 28 07:55:26 CEST 2001

Olaf Solstrand:

My theory is completely different. Mine is that Donald, Daisy, Scrooge, et
al. live in a world where time does not work in a way that we would find
comprehensible. Instead of living through years with numbers on them, they
currently exist in a time known as "now", have in the past existed in times
now known as "last year", "a few years ago" etc., and will in the future
exist in years currently referred to as "a couple of years from now",
"someday" and suchlike. Aging and death have occurred, but only "a long time
ago" -- unless a character aging is a story point, in which case I don't
even blink an eye at selective aging.

That's how I write stories about established characters that don't change
much from year to year, anyway. Of course, I enjoy Don Rosa's perpetual
1950s, too (tho I'd have trouble writing it), and you're perfectly free to
extrapolate into the present from his scenario. But this is the way I like
to do them, and the way I like to think about them; and of course, one of
the strengths of these characters is that nobody is bound by the way another
person handles them.

Quack, Don

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary. What's today?
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm