Duckburg location

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 29 10:56:30 CEST 2001

Hello!

Rob:
>>Barks considered each story on its own and used the geographic elements
>>he needed for each individual story without regard to consistency of his canon.

There is a quotation in WDC&S Album 44 of  the CBL in Color that says exactly this:
    "Duckburg was sort of  figured to be near Burbank, California, the main plant
    of  the Disney Studio, but obviously it had to be movd around to fit the requirements
    of  whatever story I was writing. So it became a place of  fantasy, like a fairy-tale locale.
    It had a desert, a lake, a sea, snow, tropical hurricanes, anythjing that was needed.
    I would have been very handicapped if  I had been compelled to keep the location
    in Southern California."

And in WDC&S 49, commenting on WDC&S 280 (Jan '64):
    "In "Double Masquerade" I used the seashore of  Duckburg-- not too out of  place for
    Burbank, which is a half-hour drive from the ocean."

Olivier