Barks' Side Of The Moon (WDC 93)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Apr 30 15:24:03 CEST 2001

Today, I saw a Discovery documentary titled "95 Worlds and Counting",
about the moons of this and other planets. One of the mentioned moons
was Titan (I've forgotten to which planet it belongs).

According to the documentary it can rain *fuel* on Titan. And if there
would be air, one could cause an enormous explosion with a lighter.

This comment reminded me of the lighter scene in Barks' 1948 moon race
story (WDC 93), in which Donald discovers fuel on our (nameless?) moon.

Is it possible that Barks' followed a theory of that time, which stated
that our moon could contain materials like fuel?

In the Dutch 1970s reprint of this story, the dialogue refers to Mars
instead of the moon. Maybe the editors thought that Barks' 1948 moon
didn't match with the detailed pictures of the 1969 moon visit?

Best wishes,

--- Daniel

"Jupiter and Saturn Oberon Miranda
And Titania Neptune Titan
Stars can frighten..."      (Astronomy Domine - Syd Barrett, 1967)

PS. I'm told that this Pink Floyd song must have been inspired on a
(non-Disney) comic book, with the pronounced "flicker flicker flicker
blam pow pow" as being comic book sound effects.