Scandinavia

Kjell Crone kjell.crone at ifsab.se
Mon Aug 13 12:50:22 CEST 2001

Harry:
>>>(Scandinavia, from what I heard, is by finns considered to be Norway,
>>>Sweden, and maybe Denmark, if we have a good day ;-)
>> Yes, it is handy to have a general name for you
>>Swedish-like language speakers. :-)
>How many Swedish-speaking people are there in Finland?
>(Or maybe they are "officially" non-existant?)
>Related question: does the Swedish Kalle Anka get published in Finland?

1.
Scandinavia consists of Norway, Sweden, Denmark
"Norden" (the Nordic countries) includes Finland, Iceland, Faroe Islands,
Greenland ?
and sometimes also Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. A bit confusing.

2.
Swedish is an official language in Finland (perhaps 5% of the population)
and
Finnish is an offical language in Sweden (maybe 3%, it used to be
"illegal").
Also Sami (½-1% ?) and Romani (I think) are offical languages in Sweden.
Thanks to the European Union.

3.
Most Swedish magazines and all Disney comics have prices in SEK and FIM,
so I guess they are sold in Finland too. At least on Åland.
And other "Swedish areas", mainly on the coast.
The Finnish Aku Ankka can be found in Sweden too.
Or could, havn't seen any the last years.
Also American comics like WDC was sold here 1945-1980 (about).

kjell