DCML digest, Vol 1 #631 - 10 msgs

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Mon Aug 13 13:33:03 CEST 2001

DANIEL / UNCA CARL:

> I think it will be in a form that readers download from the Internet
> instead of in flimsy books that sell on Newsstands.

One of the things I'd like to see would be a Disney-licensed site, where
one would be able to purchase scans of any story ever published, rather
than having to rely on someone publishing a favorite story somewhere,
in a language that one can read. Perhaps, one day, we will have the
technology to make this possible without compomising Disney's copyright,
and such a site will come into being.

OLIVIER:

> Howcome Barks drew horses instead of goats? There must have been no mention
> of them in his sources. Strange: it seems to be a fixed attribute that
> should be mentioned everywhere, like his hammer.

You mean like the equally "fixed attribute" of Hercules wearing a lion
skin (complete with head) rather than a vest or whatever it is that
Hollywood's perversion of Hercules is wearing in the TV series?

My guess is that people who are only peripherally aware of other peoples'
mythologies, are only aware (if at all) of the most prominent details
surrounding a myth, making erroneous assumptions about the rest. While
I'd never portray Hercules wearing a vest, given that he is part of my
mythology, I had no idea that Thor rode a goat-driven chariot. In fact,
were it not for Barks' story, I wouldn't even know that he rode a chariot
in the sky at all!

JYRI:

> Hi, while reading the chapter XII of L&T I started
> wondering what does srooge say (or does he?) in the
> english version when donald and the boys meet Srooge
> the first time in the dranatic half page panel?

[left balloon]
"I am your mother's brother... your uncle..."
[right balloon]
"Scrooge McDuck!"

> Then on the next page HD&L
> tell that they really are donalds sisters kids.

BOYS: Yes... and you're our *great* uncle!
SCROOGE: Huey, Dewey, and Louie, is it? You'll excuse me--I'm not used to
*children*! I never had time to be one myself!

> Then there's the panel where Donald mocks the Eisner
> award. I suppose there was somethin there before it
> was won, what kind panel there was?

If I understand correctly, this panel was added by Don in the expanded
version, which was made after the story had won the award.

This reminds me of an imaginary book mentioned in an article by Douglas
Hofstadter on self-reference, titled "Reviews Of This Book". You'd start
up with an empty book, give it to reviewers to review, then print their
reviews in the second edition of the book, then give them the second
edition to review, so that you could add their reviews in the third
edition, and so on!

> Then reading the lost charts of Columbus I started
> wondering what does the lawyer guy say in the english
> version(if fhere has been one)

There has: Donald Duck Adventures #43, dated April 1997.

> when he throws away
> the cross and says smething about not carrying your
> cross if it isn't necessery.

AZURE BLUE: You don't need *that* useless thing anymore!
SHARKEY: Nixus totus dumporum--meaning "don't bear a cross when it's
not necessary!"

[BTW, I thought I'd caught Don making a mistake, saying "anymore" rather
than "any more", but my American dictionary claims that "anymore" is
the correct word to use in this context. Does anyone know if this is an
American idiom?  My British dictionary does not mention this word.]

> Do You Yahoo!?

No!

        Kriton  (e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
                (WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"I've no recourse except to follow the advice of an old law professor,
 who often said, `flickus flackus fumdeedledum!'"
-----