Important Panchito correction (was RE: HELP ME! I need answers fo r at least 45 questions...)

DGE@ECN.egmont.com DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Thu Aug 16 12:21:28 CEST 2001

	ARI/OLAF/RICH:

>>21. What was the first appearance of Panchito Pistoles, the Mexican
>>cabarello?
>
>http://www.jps.net/xephyr/rich/dzone/hoozoo/panchito.html:
>
>"1st PRINT APPEARANCE:
>"Four-Color" #71 (Apr. 1945) in "The Three Caballeros"
>reprinted in "WDC&" #198 (Mar. 1957 - written and drawn
>by Walt Kelly of "Pogo" fame).

	I'm afraid the Hoozoo page is wrong. (Sorry, Rich- but maybe you can
fix it?)
	Panchito's first print appearance is in WDC&S 35, 1943. In the text
story "Pancho the Charro", he is introduced as- Pancho the Charro Rooster.
His color is green and his character design is less refined. Apparently,
though in 1943 the movie THE THREE CABALLEROS was still far from finished,
Dell made a decision to use Panchito before he was fully developed (or even
had his final name!). The text story in WDC&S 35 is a version of Panchito's
introductory scene as it would later appear in the film, but with some
important differences: most crucially, "Pancho" in the text story isn't a
real "person" (as he'd be later on), but a stuffed doll of a rooster who
comes to life!
	Panchito appeared again in WDC&S 38, also 1943, in a story of his
own. In it, he still has a slightly more primitive character design, but his
name is now the proper Panchito, and he is a real "person" in his world,
rather than an enchanted doll.
	Only *then* came the appearances in 1945, with Panchito's appearance
and colors finalized at last. The Hoozoo page is wrong also when it says the
OS 71 story was reprinted in WDC&S 198 (1957). The reprint was really in
WDC&S 582 (1993).

	David