DCML digest #637

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Aug 18 08:42:21 CEST 2001

From: Mike Pohjola <mikep at iki.fi>
>>>Is there something wrong with my memory, or have they still not printed
"The Treasure of the Ten Avatar" in Finland? It's one of my favorite Duck
adventure stories.

You are correct, it is your favorite.
No, I mean that you're correct, it hasn't ever appeared in Finland. But
they want to save that one for the next "Rosa hardcover" in two years.

> Aside from the "Crown of the Crusader Kings"
>>>Is this story finished? Can you tell us something more about it?

I think I've already mentioned (haven't I?) that it's another
preposterously historically accurate treasure hunt, this one involving the
Lost Treasures of the Knights Templar. The "Finnish connection" is key to
the plot but very brief, wherein $crooge meets the Finnish/Swedish explorer
A.E. Nordenskiold at the 1892 Columbian Expo in Chicago. Beyond that, you
should just wait and read it.
And yeah, I finished it months ago!

>>>What're you working on now/after that?

I've written a sort of "sequel" to "A Matter of Some Gravity" -- as much as
people might enjoy that same sideways-gravity idea, it seems like I should
not be repeating myself quite yet... so I've created a 13-page story
purposely with the same general plot progression of Magica snatching the
Dime and U$ & DD chasing her to the airport, only she has cast a different
sort of spell on them this time to make their chase difficult. Next week
I'll start to draw it.
But right at this moment I am drawing the full color illustrations on the
tip-in title pages of the leatherbound 100-volume limited edition version
of the Finnish book that the "Crusader Crown" story will be the title-story
of. I think they said that the regular edition has sold about 20,000 copies
so far (and it hasn't even been printed yet!)
Simultaneously, Dan Shane and I are creating a poster-version of our Money
Bin blueprints. It will be a "revision F" drawn in "Dec. 1951" (to
commemorate the Bin's 50th anniversary. These plans will not be
accompanying a story which dictates that they are the original 1902
version, so these drawings will be updated slightly and have some
corrections and new added details, such as for the coin shower in the
masterbath and the ejection-trapdoor-chute in front of U$'s desk. The
version we are working on now will be published in Swedish as a poster for
the Gothenburg Book Fair next month -- I didn't want to sit at the Egmont
booth signing that same Family Tree poster that I've been signing for about
9 years, so I suggested we add this Bin poster to the selection. Eventually
we'll probably do versions for other countries which might appear folded-up
in the center of the weekly.
So... you make me realize I'm doing three projects at once. Yikes.