A rather ot-note about incest laws

Stephan Packard sPackard at gmx.de
Sat Aug 25 14:25:06 CEST 2001

Hi all,

I've hardly got the time to follow this list as closely as I'd like,
but since I've just got an hour on my hands that came out of
nowhere, I'd like to comment on the Daisy problem:

> From: "Don Rosa" <donrosa at iglou.com>

> [Kriton:] >>>in Greece,
> a marriage between Donald and Daisy under these circumstances would
> be considered incestuous and would not be permitted. The only way two
> siblings would be allowed to marry two other siblings in Greece, would
> be if they got married at the same time.
>
> That's wild! I can't imagine why it would not be allowed. If it's okay for
> the first two to get married, what could be wrong with the second two?

Well, some anthropologists say that the traditional rules on
incest serve not only to guard us against reinforcement of
hereditary illnesses, but to make sure families pread and grow
as far as they can: In a society in which work power, social
security and even political influence is connected to the amount
of individuals that are part of your extended family, marrying
both siblings to the same family would mean adding one family
to yours when you could add two.

> Or why would it make a difference if they were married at the same time?

This would probably be a problem of modern "fair" law: You
can't decide who would be allowed to ga ahead.

> [Shelley:]>>>I personally find the idea of Donald and Daisy being anything other than
> completely unrelated to be very unsettling and kind of disgusting,

> Still off-topic, but I'm just curious as to why this is unsettling for
> Europeans!

Well, Hellas is in Europe, of course. With most rules they have
and we Northeners don't, it is a good guess to think not that they
made them up, but that we have forgotten them.

best regards,
Stephan