WC

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 1 15:00:16 CET 2001

Here's the story of the WC I wrote about earlier:

      BACKGROUND: An English lady, while visiting Switzerland, was looking
for a room and she asked the schoolmaster if he could recommend any. He took
her to several and when everything was settled, the lady returned to her
home to make the final preparations for her move. When she arrived home, the
thought occurred to her that she had seen no water closet (toilet) around
the place. She sent a note to the schoolmaster asking where the W. C. was
located. The schoolmaster a man of poor English, asked the parish priest to
help him in the matter. Together they tried to discover the meaning of the
letters W. C. and the only solution they could find was Wayside Chapel
(W.C.). The schoolmaster then wrote the following note to the English lady:

Dear Madam:

I take great pleasure in informing you that a W. C. is located nine miles
from the house in the center of a beautiful grove of pine trees surrounded
by lovely ground. It is capable of holding 229 people and it is open on
Sundays and Thursdays. Since there are a good number of people expected
during the summer months, I would suggest that you come early, although
there is plenty of standing room. This is an unfortunate situation,
particularly if you are in the habit of going regularly. You will no doubt
be glad to hear that a great number of people bring their lunches and make a
day of it, while others who can afford it go by car and arrive just in time.

I would especially suggest that your ladyship go on Thursday when there is
organ accompaniment. The acoustics are excellent and even the most delicate
sounds may be heard by all.  It may interest you to know that my daughter
was married in a W. C., and it was there that she met her husband. I can
remember the rush there was for seats; there were ten people to a seat
usually occupied by one. And it was wonderful to see the expressions on
their faces.

The newest attraction is a bell donated by a wealthy resident in the
district. It rings every time someone enters. A bazaar is to be held to
provide plush seats for all, since the people feel it is a long felt need.
My wife is rather delicate, so she cannot attend regularly; it has been a
year since she last went. Naturally it pains her very much not to be able to
go more often.

I shall be glad to reserve the best seat for you, if you wish, where you can
be seen by all. For the children there is a special time and place so they
won't disturb their elders.

Hoping I have been of some service to you, I remain,

THE SCHOOLMASTER