Black Pete & Pierre De Fraud

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Tue Jan 9 17:19:47 CET 2001

MARCO

>Carl Barks drew Peg-leg Pete (the villain in Mickey Mouse stories) quite a
>few times.
>
>But did Barks ever officially "declare" him to be Peg-leg-Pete?

What does "officially" means ?

Geoffrey Blum says, in an article titled "The Classic Barks",
appearing in the CBLiC volume "DD Adventures #3"...

- The fact that Black Pete, thinly disguised as Foxy Pete,
appears in "Frozen Gold" (OS 62) shows that Barks was thinking
in terms of Mickey when he wrote this Alaskan saga.
In later years he would acknowledge that "Pete was Mickey's
villain", to be used only "in certain standard ways"... -

(Quoted captions are Barks')

It is also to be noted that the "standard" American name for
Mickey's villain is "Black Pete", rather than "Peg-Leg Pete"
as we are more used to in Italy... in fact...

>Does anyone on this list own a copy of "UNCLE $CROOGE" #28
>(12/1959-2/1960), so he can check the original script and tell me what the
>villain is called?
>
>(I reckon he's called "Pierre Le Fraud". But Luca says that Gyro addresses
>him as "Peg-leg Pete"...)

You're both right. Pete is here "in disguise", so to speak...
The judge of the contest calls him Pierre De Fraud, indeed,
but when Gyro sees him for the first time, he goes...

"One of my rivals is that thug, BLACK PETE!"

Cheers

Eta Beta