Ed Lucacs / Gyro's thinking cap

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue Jan 9 18:44:51 CET 2001

Two subjects in this mail.

Someone sent me a recent newspaper article about Dutch Disney artist Ed
Lukacs, the Dutch "Rydahl" (or the Dutch "Perego" or "Lockman", if you
wish). The man is now 94, and lives in a village in the North of the
country.

Lukacs was the first Disney comics artist working in Holland. He started in
1952 (his work was first published in 1953).

The article explains that Disney didn't draw all the comics himself (this is
for a general Dutch audience..). Then some things about Lukacs' history (he
came from Hungary before WWII), and a brief interview.
"They sent me sketches from that man [Carl Barks]. That was the example that
I had to follow. They added in writing: draw loosely. It took me a year
before I could do it well. I drew Donald from the beginning, but not quite
to my liking."

I scanned the entire article (including the photo). It's all in Dutch, and
available on:
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/bolderbast/lukacs.html

--x--

Last month (or in the previous millennium), Danish newspaper editor Ivan
Soerensen asked me for examples of Gyro Gearloose's thinking cap. They were
going to use it in an illustration about a local mayor. The result can be
seen on:
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/bolderbast/hatten.html

--Harry.