Rich: More About Pete

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Thu Jan 18 11:56:32 CET 2001

Rich:

> This whole discussion perhaps explains that the Italian
> writers and artists
> take story-to-story consistency much more seriously than the
> Americans (with
> a few exceptions like Barks, Gottfredson, and Rosa) ever did.

I think it's much simpler. It's in the name: the Italian name of Pete is
still "peg-leg", so they are constantly reminded of the fact that he has (or
used to have) a peg leg.

A similar thing happened to Scrooge: because of his name McDuck, even new
(American) writers knew about Scrooge's Scottish descent.

I *do* think that people like Scarpa put extra effort in making consistent
stories. But that doesn't necessarily go for other Italian writers.

> One Scarpa
> story reprinted by Gladstone picked up on that point; it had
> Mickey and Pete
> in such an intense swordfight that ALL their clothes were torn to
> pieces...

Yes, that is the Tapiocus story: we discussed it here a few days ago.

--Harry.
(Ventilator of Shoe)
(http://home.wxs.nl/~fluks4/bolderbast - new layout)