Censorship?

Kevin Clark magicianzero at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 02:06:22 CET 2001

>From: "Fabio Blanco" <longtom at oeste.com.ar>
>To: "DCML" <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
>Subject: RE: service
>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:05:41 -0300
>
>I really can't celebrate that decition [to tone down Donald's WWII-inspired
>comments]... Sound like censorship to me... I
>think the Donald Speech is an ironic (or cinical) one that remember the
>dialogues from the WWII strips... like Buzz Sawyer, par example...

It's neither ironic nor cynical.  It's just dated.  Some things simply do
not age well.

If the period of the story in question is important, then keep the dialogue.
  The humor of that sequence derives from there having been a war on.
Perhaps the story itself could be put aside, and the gag repeated -- say, in
a story involving war with aliens?

This isn't censorship, by the way.  That would involve keeping the artist
from drawing it, or trying to keep him/her from getting published.  This is
just revisionism.

>(Caution, Charlie is listening!)

Reminds me of the time I toured the wartime propaganda exibit at the
National Archives -- a nice lesson in dehumanization techniques :)

Yours,
Kevin Clark