DCML digest, Vol 1 #559 - 15 msgs

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Mon Jun 11 12:24:56 CEST 2001

Re: Intini's style

ME:

> (Perhaps I should scan a page or two, to show what I mean.)

Here is a sample scan, in all its, um, glory:

http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis/pics/intini.jpg

ROB:

> I agree with Achrontis that the artists should stick (to some degree) to
> their studio's model for individual characters.

Um, that was me!

> No one has forced
> the artists at gunpoint to work for Disney.  They have the freedom to
> develop and market their own characters in their own universe, if they so
> choose.

I suspect that one factor that "forces" people to produce stories in
someone else's universe (be it Disney comics, Star Trek books, or what
have you) is that there is a ready market for them. If you manage to
publish something in one of the established universes, it is guaranteed
to sell. If you create something completely original, it may or may
not. (How many of us knew of Don's Pertwillaby Papers, e.g.?)

(And now for something completely different.)

DON:

> Barrier expounds something I've
> always thought -- that Mr. Barks should be remembered strictly for the work
> he did in writing and drawing comic books stories prior to 1967, and not at
> all for his paintings and other "collectibles" endeavors of his final
> years.

You mean it is OK that I don't own a single of his paintings or other
collectibles? That's good to hear!

ARCHONTIS:

> a) Mickey Mouse in "Il cavatappi di Tuzco", from "Topolino" #1047, 1975 (31
> pages). Script & art: Romano Scarpa.

Something tells me that the translation was very poor, as the story
made very little sense: if the bad guys could travel to south America to
follow Mickey, and one of them was small enough to follow Mickey through
the narrow tunnel, there was no reason why they couldn't have gone after
the treasure themselves, instead of hiring Mickey to do it for them! Do
you have the original to check what was the original plot?

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"I am not expendable, I am not stupid and I am not going!"
-----