571: oils as covers 573:stories

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Sat Jun 16 16:04:04 CEST 2001

Dan said:

>I like Barks' oil work personally, and in my imaginary, perfect world,
>envision them as the "covers" to the comics I love.

Not insinuating that Denmark would be anything near this perfect world,
I do want to tell that in this last decade of weeklies, the danish DD
weekly used Barks paintings as covers for certain stories, such as
Vacation Time , terror of the river and Trick or Treat. They also
published posters with the paintings - the ones I have are hanging in
this and my other room.

Reading the digest 573 I got to think of this. I have 4 repro's inhere.

One is Sailing the Spanish Main - excuse me my perhaps utterly
strange wievpoint but so far I always thought like this when I looked
at that poster with the painting: Is there no story where they
experience that?
It would be so good! I think now, having read many Barks-stories, if
not all
except for some JW-manusripts, that it's a painting of a cover for a
WDC-issue.

As we see in the case with the painting Barks wanted to do of a horse
in the bin,
this painting could have maybe made a story too. I make a challenge to
all writers or
drawers here to make a story out of that painting - On the other hand,
maybe I should
consider the painting a collection of many treasure hunts the ducks
had, maybe just those
on sea. I see the happy expression(s?) in all the eyes of the ducks on
the painting
and it makes me happy. The octopus though, especially when I was
smaller, often made
me scared. The poster-magazine I once bought which held that painting,
is from 1989 or earlier.
May have been my first meeting with the oils, as I wasn't too
interested in books with Ducks
at the time

Of the other 3 inhere 2 paintings are made from cover-gags, one is
inspired from Back to Klondike.

BTW, as we talk of paintings here on the disney comics mailing list,
maybe we could also talk of
Barks-cartoons? I know I'm contributing to this coming of-topic myself
-
Even though the cartooncareer wasn't 1/4 of a century, it's still one
thing that is seen on danish TV from time to time.

A. C. Sivebaek
acsive at mail.mira.dk