DCML digest, Vol 1 #579 - 17 msgs

Merlin Haas mvhaas at elpaso.net
Mon Jun 18 21:54:04 CEST 2001

>Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:
>
>I've looked up "Volcano Valley" (OS 147, panel 5.5), which describes
>Donald's 313 car as having "1920 Mixwell engine! '22 Dudge body!
>'23 Paclac axles! Wheels off a lawn mower!"
>
>In my previous email I asked about the Mixwell engine, but
>I would also like to know what "Dudge" and "Paclac" refer to.

    Those are all puns on American automobile names.  Dudge = Dodge.
Paclac = Pontiac (or maybe Cadillac?). Mixwell = Maxwell.  (The last
probably coming from the very popular Jack Benny radio program.
Benny's stingy character could have provided a basis for Scrooge. Did
anyone ever think to ask Barks about this?)

best -- Merlin Haas