Vic: WDC&S No. 550

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Fri Mar 9 19:05:08 CET 2001

Vic Pratt:

> Can one of the experts on the list help me out with
> this enquiry?

Maybe. 8-)

> WDC&S number 550, was to present
> an unpublished Barks story about Donald...did that
> happen?

Yes. The "Milkman" story. Made in 1957, published for the first time
anywhere, in Holland, in 1974. WDC 550 is its first publication in an
*American* *comic book*.

Normally, you can find Inducks information about the story under the code CS
WDC '57. But at the moment, our 2 Inducks search pages fail: the Swedish one
has a bug and the French one is out-of-service until next Monday...

But a third Inducks page, where all work from Barks is listed
(http://home.wxs.nl/~fluks4/bolderbast/xxcreators.html)
gives the following info:

CS WDC '57, 10 pages, written+drawn by Barks on 1957-09-19.
USA reprints: Carl Barks Library (b/w) set 10, Barks Library in Color #51,
WDC 550.

> Why hadn't the story been published previously?

The publisher thought it was too violent, and shelved it.
More information on Daniël van Eijmeren's Barks site:
http://www.seriesam.com/barks/s_wdc215-u.htm

> Was it any good?

It's not Barks' best story, but I like it.

> Has it been published anywhere else?

See above. The story has been published outside the USA as well. For
instance in Holland. With the original English text. But the USA comic is
probably the easiest to get.

> Also: I just discovered the brilliant comics
> writer/artist John Stanley, who worked on NANCY and
> LITTLE LULU comics. Does anyone know if he scripted
> any funny animal comics?

We're not sure. We *do* have one Disney comic illustration attributed to him
(from Mickey Mouse Magazine #1), but the credit is not certain.
Gladstone reprinted that page in Mickey Mouse #256, and the same page in WDC
#601.

--Harry.
Inducks (Disney comics database) coordinator
http://home.wxs.nl/~fluks4/bolderbast/