DCML digest, Vol 1 #438 - 17 msgs

Kevin Clark magicianzero at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:04:56 CET 2001

>All except for ONE. I never parted with the one I
>loved the most. I still have what is one of the world's few *one-owner
>copies* of FOUR COLOR COMICS #386 (UNCLE $CROOGE #!). I did not know this
>was the first issue, but I loved that story! It was the best combination of
>motivation, plot, humor, action (the dam breaking panel is the greatest
>single page of art in comic book history!), plus characterization and
>timing (the last page of that story is, well, maybe the second best comic
>page of all time?).

Dam-breaking sequence...
You mean "Only a Poor Old Man"?  Gods, I loved that story.  The Beagles
may've been tougher, and they may even have found a may to swipe $crooge's
fortune "square", but $crooge proved that he's still "smarter than the
smarties."  Wonderful stuff.

How neat it is to discover that one of my favorite U$ stories had such a
powerful influence on Don Rosa himself!