Carl Barks & the Norwegian Princess

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Mon Mar 26 22:33:19 CEST 2001

Yesterday I posted a message about the influence of
Carl Barks on the novels of Jan Kjærstad, this year's
winner of the Nordic Council's Literature Award.
His major hero Jonas Wergeland, in his grand trilogy,
has a "nomadic" life taking him to various corners
of the earth, and Kjærstad acknowledges the influence
of Barks' adventure tales with Scrooge and Donald
and the kids.

Today I saw an interview with another contemporary
Norwegian author, Ari Behn. This young writer's reputation
and fame is suddenly quadrupling and quintupling, as
we speak, due to his association with the Norwegian
princess Martha Louise. In a long interview, aimed from
the journalist's side at getting him to tell about the
princess, Behn with admirable persistence talks about
everything else -- including Jesus (whom Mr Behn recently
met in person, in Arabia), Tibuktu ("quite like Geilo"
in the Norwegian mountains), the desert, Africa, literature,
duels (he just challenged a person to fight for life and
death, because this person had offended not him, but a friend
of his, presumably the princess), the need to be open
about praise, etc etc.

And he mentions the Barks stories he read during
childhood and youth as having been inluential for his
development. Some people know when young that will end
up as archeologists, after reading the Seven Cities of
Cibola. Behn knew he was going to be a writer -- and that
he would go to Timbuktu.

It is appropriate on this 100th birthday of Carl Barks
to ponder his enormous and unparallelled influence in
so many directions and on so many layers of society.
We should not be surprised, therefore, that he also
touches royalty, albeit indirectly.

Nils Lid Hjort