Family Trees

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 29 19:09:52 CEST 2001

Hello everyone!

As i  looking for more characters, I read over the message I posted a
couple of  days ago (March 24, entitled "re: Relatives") to copy the list
of  characters I sent, in order to have it & make scans.
And I found a huge mistake in the introductory paragraph!

>>I've already stated my opinion regarding anyone's attempt
>>to make a tree out of  the various (often one-shot) characters
>>you can find in the many mouse/duck multiverses. Apocryphal
>>stories? Probably should be considered so as regards such
>>attempts at making coherence out of  incoherence, if  only to
>>make things simpler. But no reason to definitely ban
>>characters / stories because there are not by the major m&d men!
>>It has nothing to do with the quality of  the stories / art.
>>And certainly no reason to encourage such attempts.

The last sentence should read:
"And certainly no reason   * *not* *   to encourage such attempts."
I believe the rest of  the message (a whole list of  characters) made it
obvious the "not" was missing, but still, I wanted to correct it.

What I meant is that trying to find coherence in the many branches that
haver sprung up (and are likely to spring up) in single stories is almost doomed.

But-- listing them and drawing the tree for reference and to see what it looks like
and thereby trying to put some order and coherence in all this is certainly a huge
task that deserves praise (it so happens that Rob Klein posted his own praise
when I was starting to write this, it seems).

And here are a few more characters:

1/    There have been several Italian stories starring the characters in the Old West.
        I can't find any of  the Mickey & Goofy stories of  this kind I have, but I have found
        one of  the "Mickey Parade" with several such duck stories (#68, '85) ("Un Jour,
        Au Far West..."-- One day, in the Far West..."):
        - IT 1131 A: "Donald et l'Or de Pepitt City" ("Donald and the Gold of  Nugget City")
        - IT 1133 A: "Donald et la Belle du Saloon" ("Donald and the Belle of  the Saloon")
        - IT 1138 B: "Donald est dans la Course" ("Donald is in the Race")
        In all these:
        - Onc' Picsou (unca Scrooge) is called "Onc' Don Pepito Picsou"   ("pépite" means "nugget")
        - Flairsou (Rockerduck) is "Flairor"    ("Flair[e-]sou" means "sniffes coins", "Flair[e-]or"
"sniffes gold")
        - Gontran (Gladstone) is "Gontrano"
        - Daisy is "Daisy Rella"  (a pun: "Désirez-la": "Desir her")
        - Les Rapetou (The Beagle Boys) are "Les Rap' Balourdos Bandeirantes" ("balourd": oaf)
        - Géo Trouvetou (Gyro) is "Géo Trouvetoutès" (strange: sounds more like Greek)

2/    Yet another look-alike (cf , Mr Coot in U$ 27), in the past this time.
        In "La Vengeance du Professeur Maléfik" (no story code; MP 59, Nov '84-- 10 again!--, a
reprint
        of  LJdM / MP 1081bis, '73), the evil professor sends Scrooge and Donald some 3 centuries
back
        in time to get rid of  them. They meet an unnamed doppelganger of  Scrooge's, who is a
pirate,
        whose swabs are-- you guessed it-- Beagle Boys.

3/    MP 31 (July '82) (no story code; a reprint of  LJdM / MP 1971): "Mickey et la Grande Lessive".
       Minnie works as a reporter for her uncle Topaze, editor or head of  "Canard-Soir" ("The
Evening Duck"?)

4/    Same issue (but not a reprint): "Oncle Picsou et les Bracelets des MacPic".
        Uncle Scrooge's doctor advised him to go breathe the healthy air of  his ancestors' land, to
refresh
        the "financial agressiveness of  [his] brain". Scrooge finds an iron wrist-band in an old
trunk: "When the
        founder of  the family wore his wrist-band, no one dared confront him! he became
*invincible*!" The ducks
        set out on a quest for the missing one.

Olivier