Carl (and Gare) Barks items (010507)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon May 7 13:55:37 CEST 2001

Links to rare/original/unpublished Barks items. I don't have any
connection with the sellers or the sites. If you've seen other
rare/original/unpublished items, then I hope you'll post it to the list
as well. Descriptions are by the sellers, except where noted ("DvE").

Items at Ebay (http://www.ebay.com):

- - - - - - -

#585172433
Gare' Barks Print Puzzle, FOREST CATHEDRAL
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=585172433

Seller: Up for auction is "FOREST CATHEDRAL" from an original
painting by Gare'Barks. Leanin' Tree Puzzle by Nordevco.
Copyright 1983. Over 500 Pieces. Measures 16" x 20". PZ07.
This is a beautiful Christmas scene with forest animals gathered
around the tree.

- - - - - - -

#1140259465
Disney Carl Barks 1981 'Zine UNCLE SCROOGE +
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1140259465

Seller: Disney Carl Barks Fanzine 1980s VACATION IN DUCKBURG First Issue
Issue of a Carl Barks and Walt Disney fanzine called Vacation In Duckburg
done in 1981. This is the first (and only) issue ever put out. Measures
8.5" x 14", folded in half and saddle stitched. Features 32 pages, with
contents on: Uncle Scrooge McDuck's foes (Part one on Flintheart Glomgold);
Walt Disney Comics and Stories Index, The World According to Carl Barks; An
Interview with Ben Sharpsteen (early animator at Disney and Studio boss);
Columns, and advertisements. Cover is hand-colored (this is how it was sent
out) and the press run was under 150 copies, so it is quite rare.

- - - - - - -

#1141317404
Armani Disney Scrooge by the Late Carl Barks!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1141317404

Seller: "EUREKA" 590C   Limited Edition of only 3,000 pieces.
By Giuseppi Armani and the late Carl Barks   SIZE: 14" H, 10" W

This piece has been one of Armani's most popular new releases. It came out
at an issue price of $800.00, however, the creator and artist of Donald
Duck, Carl Barks, passed away a few months ago. Since then, the price on
this piece has soared! This piece that you are bidding on not only bears
the signature of Giuseppe Armani and Mr. Barks, but you will also receive a
special Certificate of Authenticity that was hand-signed by both of these
legendary artist. Don't miss out on this opportunity to acquire this
magnificent piece at a remarkable price. This piece is limited to only
3,000 pieces and I only have a few left.

This particular piece comes with a special Certificate of Verification
along with the framed Certificate of Authenticity. The Certificate of
Verification, as well as the piece itself carries the signatures of both
Armani and Barks. This piece was based on an original Carl Barks paining
entitled "Eureka!" and is the result of the combined effort of these two
masters. This piece was released in 1999 at the Disney/Armani Convention.

Whenever Armani releases a limited edition Disney piece it sells out within
a matter of months. This piece was no exception. I purchased several at the
time of release and just brought them home and put them away. If you can
find this piece, one that has been signed by both artists and that is still
in the original packing materials and that has never been opened and
displayed, you will pay a fortune for it since Mr. Barks has now passed
away.

The suggested retail on this piece at the time of release was $800.00,
before the passing of Mr. Barks it was selling in some areas for over
$1000.00! I have opened the bidding on this piece at only $700.00. GOOD
LUCK!

- - - - - - -

#1141092633
CARL BARKS "BARKSTER BRONZE" STATUE
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1141092633

Seller: Carl Barks designed it, Randy Bowen sculpted it. This 8" tall
bronze statue was originally commissioned for presentation at the 1993
Diamond Gem Awards. Guess who was the first recipient... Carl Barks
himself!

The statue's production is limited to 100 copies. It features highly
detailed patina work, is signed and numbered by Carl Barks, comes with a
certificate of authenticity signed by Randy Bowen and weighs approximately
three pounds. Also included is a brief video presentation, "The Making of
the Barkster", narrated by Carl Barks.

[I would like to have more information on this video. I've never heard
about it before. Is it PAL or NTSC? How long is the playing time? What
exactly does it contain? DvE.]

- - - - - - -

#1141336710
CARL BARKS: PHANTOM OF NOTRE DUCK INKED PAGE
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1141336710

Seller: CARL BARKS: The Phantom of Notre Duck original comic book page
(ink on board) for Uncle Scrooge #60, 1965, signed, 40,8 x 59,2 cm
(16 x 24 inches)

[Page 16. Seller links to "Galerie Laqua" site with much more original
Barks art, including pictures of it: "http://www.comicoriginalart.com".
To get to that section I followed "Comic Books" and then "Disney".
The site works only with browsers that support java-script. DvE.]

- - - - - - -

#1142584782
FUNNYWORLD #10 *Scarce* 1968 'zine CARL BARKS
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1142584782

Seller: Funnyworld #10 . . . . This cool fanzine was published way back in
1968, one of the better offerings of early organized fandom. Mike Barrier's
efforts eventually led to later issues with slick production, but there is
so much charm to these scarce early mimeographed issues. This one is thick
and packed with great articles, mostly on Barks/Ducks but also touching on
other topics. Also a long review of and art by Robert Crumb, whose
underground work had just been collected in book form for the first time.
Overall excellent issue of this always interesting 'zine!

[Cover contains "Barks and the duck syndrome" pencil drawing in which Barks
shows himself painting a Daisy-like female duck while a nude human female
is posing for him. DvE.]

Best wishes,

--- Daniel