DCML digest, Vol 1 #522 - 10 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue May 8 13:56:43 CEST 2001

From: "Fluks, H.W." <H.W.Fluks at kpn.com>
>>>And other people also used the spelling "DonRosa", as if it's one word.

Thanks for correcting this letter-writer. In fact, I had already attempted
to correct this error in his website partially about my work, but he has
not corrected all the misspellings there yet or apparently in his
address-file.
But, yeah, as I travel Europe, I frequently have difficulty convincing
people that "Don Rosa" is my real name. Once when I was appearing at...
uh... that big amusement park outside of Oslo, one of the stage performers
asked me what my "real" name was, and refused to believe it was "Don Rosa".
I've mentioned this before...  to European ears, where it is a tradition
for cartoonists to use one-name pseudonyms, "Don Rosa" sounds quite phony
and is sometimes written by fans as "Donrosa". They take "Don" to be the
Spanish or Italian antiquated term of respect, and "Rosa" means "pink" in
many languages. So my name sounds to them like "Sir Pinky".
I'd mentioned that before, but I relate it again because I wanted to ask
about this business of Donald working in a "margarine" factory in
Scandinavia. A margarine factory? I don't get it. Barks' "skunk oil"
factory sounds funny... like, why would anyone want skunk oil?! But to
American ears "margarine factory" isn't the least bit funny. Margarine is a
blend of vegetable oils used as a butter substitute. Perhaps a translator
who didn't know what a "skunk" was made a wild guess that it was some type
of a vegetable? Or is there something funny about the word "margarine" in
Europe that is not translatable here? Is it like the "Sir Pinky" deal?