Scrooge's heirs

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed May 9 18:15:52 CEST 2001

DANIEL.V.HAUGSB=F8?= to OLAF SOLSTRAND, 28-04-2001:

>> And, I'm curious; do any of you have any thoughts about what is
>> happening in Duckburg today? [...] I have a few theories; [...]
>> 3) Huey, Dewey and Louie have gone to college. They have probably
>> split up by now - they're not so equal anymore:
>> 3a) Huey is in charge of taking care of the funds they
>> inherited from their grand-uncle Scrooge [...]

> Yes great theory! hmm..but i wonder if maybe ALL of the nephews
> HD&L heird theyr grand-uncle? But this sounds good, but you can
> never know for sure about this...

Or maybe Donald inherited at least a part of it, too?

In "Bongo on the Congo" (US 33), Scrooge is "determined he's going to
make unca Donald the next tycoon of the vast McDuck Empire." (panel 1.1)

In "Delivery Dilemma" (WDC 291), Scrooge says to Donald: "Never mind
what YOU want! As my nearest of kin, it's your DUTY to carry on for
good old McDuck unlimited!" (panel 2.3)

(About "Delivery Dilemma", The Carl Barks Library set 10, page 615, notes:
"Though Barks' records indicate that he did not originate this story, a
full "shooting script" in his holograph survives, showing that he reworked
the original idea so much as to make it his own.")

In the rainbow heir story (WDC 155), Scrooge thinks of Donald, Gladstone
and the nephews as possible heirs.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel