Comics and dimensions ; Quiz hints

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 11 09:19:08 CEST 2001

Hi y'll!

>>I think that comics are 'simulated three-dimensional'. In other words:
>>a conversion from three-dimensional to two-dimensional.

Well, the comics are snapshots of  a 3-D world. Or windows on that world.
A funny thing is that in our own 3-D world, our perception of  it as 3-D relies
on 2-D: each eye gives a comic (like "comic book", I mean) image of  the
world, ie, a projection of  this world on a flat surface. The way objects appear
and move is a sign of  the depth of  this world, but you can't feel this depth.
A single eye is insufficient to locate objects in the 3rd dimension: it takes another
eye, thus another projection, to "add" this 3rd dimension. So that our perception of
the 3-D-ness of  our world is made of  two 2-D perceptions.

Olivier

Want another hint? It's getting hard to think up new ones...
"Don't worry! *We* ' ll get you out!"
    1/    Barks story
    2/    not a 10-pager
    3/    another ball of  thread comes mighty handy!
    4/    once they have found it, they have to get rid of  it