Barks and American newspaper strips

Donald Markstein dmarkstein at earthlink.net
Mon May 14 15:29:08 CEST 2001

Rob Klein --

> AND another
> Winsor McCay strip with a strange title having to do with eating before
> going to sleep and then having nightmares.  I cannot remember the title;
> but, I believe it could be paraphrased as: "Rarebit Madness"? or "Rarebit
> Nightmares"?  or "Tales of Rarebit Madness"?
>
> Can anyone tell us what the actual title was?

"Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend". Dover Books published a reprint of it at
least 25 years ago (that's how long I've had my copy). In the late 1980s, a
modern cartoonist named Rick Veitch used McCay's title for a series of dream
comics of his own. And yes, I can see certain elements of that McCay work in
Barks.

And since you spell Winsor McCay's name right, I guess YOU must be an expert
on newspaper comics, by American standards.

Quack, Don

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary. What's today?
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm