Olaf: Gyro & Belgian Names?

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Tue May 29 16:00:50 CEST 2001

Hi Olaf.
I just learned that last friday, what you tell. Funny that Gyro has
another name in the first issue.
I have no idea why they changed it. I think Scrooge had another name in
his debut in Sweden.
Gladstone was once called Cousin Eric in Denmark, in the story with the
3 bears and goldy locks.
Mickey was once Mortimer, Goofy was once Dippy Dawg. It seems to be
quite normal for a
charecter to change his name. In Denmark in happened for many of the
super heroes too.
Petter Smart sounds downright ridicoulous in Danish, almost as honest
Herb or some other
absolutely dishonest shop-owner... In Swden he's Oppfinnar-Jocke
(Inventor Joe) and in Denmark
they simply translated it directly. You may say Denmark took the
easiest, perhaps not best solution.

Our expression for a smart person is more like Ole Opfinder (Ole is a a
very normal, nice name -
Inventor). This comes from the great comic for kids, Bamse. (I learned
as much from it when I was
8 as I later learned from DD).

I wonder if I would like to call Gladstone Cousin Eric because he was
called that once... I don't think so.
Googen Skrueløs sounds very catchy and fun though.

Wasn't there a case about Belgian duck comics? They once had their own
magazine, but then
suddenly it closed, and since then they've been reading the french
comics, having to get used
completely different names like Picsou (what did they call him?)

>----- ROSA/BARKS RELATION -----
>In the so-often-mentioned VG article, Don Rosa is adressed as "the
pupil of
>Carl Barks" (maybe that was a crappy translation). Is this true?
-----------
Only as a picture. I never heard of Barks giving Don lessons or the
like in how to draw or such.
Before the Manegers came into the picture Barks had contact with many
artists, including Rosa.
(And the story of Don using Barks' old drawing table for the making of
a certain story - was it
Last Sled to dawson? is wellknown)
So as the term Barks' pupil is a picture I would like this, another
picture better: The sorcerer's apprentice.

BTW I see Barks as the actual God of Duckburg. Italian fans can put
Scarpa or others in the place, if they like, but for my own Duckburg
Barks is the one true God. Nothing above, nothing at the side.

At the same time, I'm a Rosa-reader, but Barks is the *creator*.

A. C. Sivebaek
acsive at mail.mira.dk