'nother 'nouncement

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Thu Oct 11 06:02:15 CEST 2001

The last "announcement" I made was to say that I couldn't get to the
Gothenburg Book Fair after they cancelled all the flights outta Louisville.
Now I'm saying that, due to my failure to make it to that show, I've
accepted another offer to be a guest at the Amadora International Comics
Festival near Lisbon. I don't think we have any Portuguese members (?), so
I don't guess that makes up for my missing the Swedish show, but it's all I
can do.
It would be nice if you could magically and cheaply transport yourselves to
see one of these Portuguese (or Spanish) comics fairs. They do spectacular
displays of guests' original art! The show I was at last year in La Coruna
filled a huge gallery about 2 blocks long with thousands of pages of art
and had special props all over the city like Spider-Man climbing the city
bell tower! And the Oporto show I was at 3 years ago is where they built a
20 ft. tall replica of the Money Bin inside the expo hall, including a fake
hill underneath it, where you would enter into a hole blasted in a wall by
a Beagle Boy and see my art displayed around the inside walls while walking
around a 10X15 ft. swimming pool of cash with a life-size $crooge diving
into it off a diving board, as well as other props. And these shows are
government sponsored -- La Coruna is where we attended a State Dinner in
our honor at the Mayor's "palace", and the art that I just sent for display
in Lisbon, I sent it to the Portuguese Embassy in Washington DC to be sent
by diplomatic courier to the festival. Lah-dee-dah! No tellin' what sorta
display they're cookin' up.