DCML digest, Vol 1 #696 - 13 msgs

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu Oct 11 11:05:53 CEST 2001

DON asked:

> I never could figure out how the Euro writers could
> think Magica was a witch

To which GILLES replied:

> In France, Sorceress and witch is translated the same word : "Sorci=E8re"

And to which I add:

...and in Greece it is "magissa".

One of the good things about English is that it, um, well, isn't actually
English! It is actually a language derived from English (the original
Germanic language), Latin (from the Romans), Greek (from its influence
on Latin and from its use in coining new scientific terms), and French
(from the Normans), resulting in a richness of synonyms that is not to
be found in other western languages. In this particular case, you have
witches, warlocks, magicians, mages, sorcerers (and probably a few more),
which mean the same thing in the various languages from which these
words originate (someone who uses supernatural means to achieve an end),
but have acquired subtly different meanings in English.

APOSTOLIS:

> I'm sure that Komix
> editors made a goof here and print a non-disney story,
> only for filling the issues! There's no reason for
> doing something like that:

A while back, I mentioned my suspicions that this may be a trick to make
readers forget the actual price of the magazine, so that Komix can raise
its price when we switch to the Euro without readers realizing it.
Archontis told me that when he renewed his subscription to Komix,
he was told that the current, temporary, price increase is going to
become permanent next year. I'm waiting to see if this price increase
is accompanied by a corresponding increase in page count. If not, I'll
probably stop buying Komix.

Komix is already giving a Euro equivalent to its current price that is
rounded up to the next 10 cent multiple, rather than the closest cent,
which is what they are supposed to be doing, so my hopes are not very
high.
--
	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)