Comics-Shop DisComics ?

joe gouldIII joegouldiii at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 21:00:20 CEST 2001

  This might appear to contradict what I've said here
before , ( However , I don't think that it does . (
but , could Disney comics in N.A. - especially of "
our " ones , i.e., the Ducks , etc. - be commercially
viable as comics-shops items only , not distributed to
newsstand outlets ( Or , perhaps , given - at least at
the beginning - very limited non-comics shop - Perhaps
per-baggeds , much as GK/Western did in the 70s , and
as Viz - in the US - recently has done with Pokemon
and Dragonball Z comics ? ) ?
  Maybe Geppi would perfer that , and Disney is ,
insisting , on the wider distribution ? Frankly , no
matter what ( especially from the viewpoint of the "
traditional/little kids' " comics , such as the
Disneys , fans ) the limitations of the direct-market
comics shops idea may be , it , at least , permitted
comics publishers to not have to deal with ,
INCREDIBLE , amounts of returned , unsold , copies ,
which ( Officially , anyway , ) were supposed to be
scrapped-burned - It's hardly any coincidence that ,
NO new comics publisher of standard-type comics in the
US started up , and continued for any length of time ,
from the mid-50s to the early/mid 80s , when the
comics shop market started to become a factor !