Notre-Duck

Francois Willot Willot.Francois at ec-lille.fr
Mon Sep 17 21:43:35 CEST 2001

>De: Kriton Kyrimis
> If Duckburg is American (and most indications are in that direction),
>then it's impossible that the Notre-Duck is an original medieval gothic
>church.
>
>If Duckburg *is* American, it is not inconceivable that some rich
>Duckburgian had the cathedral transported to Duckburg, stone by stone,
>from its original site in Europe. (Now *that's* an idea for a story!)

I think that *is* inconceivable.

But anyway, in Barks' tale, one can read the following:

<<
The cathedral of Notre Duck! Pride of Duckburg! Steeped in legends older
than History!

<<
The cathedral has NO BASEMENT, sir! The thief you discovered must have
TUNNELED to the fountain from the catacombes!

Now - some remarks, questions and hypothesis, reactions welcome:

Catacomb = Paris (I guess this doesn't exist in South Bend, Indiana).

The exterior of the cathedrale does look like Notre-Dame.

Was Barks also inspired by "the phantom of the opera", written by Gaston
Leroux (or any US adaptation)?

What do the clothes of the guard on the first pages refer to (if that refers
to anything)? His casque looks German to me.

I'm convinced that Barks meant the cathedral as an original gothic one (see
first quote). The other fact that Duckburg is in America makes this Barks
fact impossible.

  Francois